posted May 31, 2013, 6:49 PM by admin vcsa
updated May 31, 2013, 6:55 PM
Program Overview: During the summer of 2013, Vietnamese Culture & Science Association will deliver the following programs:
- Vietnamese Youth Tobacco and Obesity Prevention Summit (in partnership with the Houston Museum of Natural Science Downtown – The summit serves approximately 200 kids of age 6 -16 and will engage around 90 volunteers to deliver a full day program at the museum focusing on tobacco prevention and nutrition. This event will held on July 20, 2013.
- Vietnamese Youth Excellence Recognition program – a Luncheon to honor local high school graduates who are either Valedictorians or Salutatorians of their respective high schools, Class of 2013. The coordination of this program will start from June to August 2013. The event is held on August 4th, 2013.
- Post-camp activities for the VCSA 17th annual Youth Leadership Development Camp Len Duong 2013 (the camp will be held from June 28 – July 1, 2013).
VCSA would like to recruit TWO Summer Interns to help with coordinating activities throughout the summer.
Key Outcomes and Responsibilities
- Work with volunteers and the coordinators to plan and Implement the Youth tobacco prevention summit and coordinate volunteers for the project.
- Assist in the logistic planning of VCSA programs
- Assist the logistic planning and coordination tasks for the Youth Excellence Recognition Luncheon program
- Conduct evaluation sessions for two programs (Tobacco Youth summit and Youth Excellence Recognition Luncheon) and assist the other student intern to implement workshops, summer classes delivered at the VCSA Center.
Essential Qualifications and Key Competencies:
- Has experience working with youth, fluent in Vietnamese is specially preferred.
- Has experience in non-profit management work and volunteer experience with VCSA.
- Takes initiatives and be proactive
- Be open to Vietnamese traditions and values
- Excellent communication skills
- Organizational skills and flexible in assigned tasks.
- Can effectively work independently and as a team member
- Has reliable transportation or is proficient in using public transportation
Terms of Employment: This is a 35 hours/week summer internship position from 6/15/2013 to 8/15/2013
- Upon completion of 400 hours of service, interns will receive $1000 fund from VCSA
- Gain skills in program planning, development, evaluation. Develop teaching and public presentation skills.
- Receive regular weekly mentorship from VCSA Board of Directors
- Receive training classes in fund raising planning for non-profit, leadership training on conflict resolution, communication and project planning.
- Tap into the national network of VCSA national and international charity projects both in the United States, Canada and Vietnam.
To Apply: Please submit a cover letter and resume outlining your qualifications for this position to email@example.com by June 7th, 2013.
Deadline: June 7th, 2013